Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Update

It's been awhile from my last post.  For the last few months leading up to February Sophie was in a maintenance period.  This meant she was only going to the hospital about once a week and was taking a chemo pill orally at home.  It was nice knowing that she was able to celebrate the holidays as normal as possible.  Her hair was growing back and she was even attending school frequently. 
In February she had started her aggressive treatment again for about 7 to 8 weeks.  If her blood counts don't dip too low hopefully her this treatment will be done by March.  When her counts are low she requires blood transfusions and the treatment is delayed.  Her hair will start to fall out again and she will become more weak and nausious from the chemo.  She will have to go to the hospital probably every weekday.  The treatment started off again with the two VERY painful needles in the legs.  Lombard (sp?) punctures are a common occurence which I do believe they put her under for.  With this treatment they give her steroids as well that causes her to puff up.  The good news is that after this treatment she will be in a maintenance period for the next 18 months.  This will mean she will continue to be given a chemo pill orally at home and the hospital trips will probably be about 4 times a month.
When I last talked to my brother he had mentioned the cancer was considered stage 3 as it was in more than one spot.  The mass behind her lung has shrunk considerably if not gone completely and there may be only one little spot left on one of her kidney's.
The fundraising has been a success.  So far I have raised approximatley $2000.  I sent them a $500 visa card shortly before Christmas and I have another $500 money order on the way in the mail.  Stephanie's maternity leave will end at the end of June and they have decided she would stay home another 6 months on short term disability.  They are very appreciative of the money and are amazed at everyone's kindness and generousity.

Thanks again for all the help

Dianna & Tyler

1 comment:

  1. hello Dianna
    I came across your blog while shopping on the airdrie swap and buy. It touched a nerve for me as my 3 year old son was also diagnosed with cancer in January of this year. I also have a blog about his struggles (similar name!) www.christiansfight.blogspot.com. I would love to help out your brother and his wife in anyway i can. My husband and his whole family are from Truro so when i saw NS my heart broke for your niece and her family. I will pm so we can have each other's contact info.
    Prayers for Sophie

    ReplyDelete